Jeffrey P. Leonard
After law school, Jeff lived in Atlanta, Georgia and practiced at King & Spalding and Nelson, Mullins, Riley & Scarborough, where he primarily represented large companies in civil litigation. Jeff returned to his hometown of Birmingham in 2009 and joined Heninger Garrison Davis.
Jeff brings significant litigation and trial skills to the firm. His practice focuses on representing individuals and businesses in civil litigation, including contract and commercial disputes, wrongful death, catastrophic personal injury, medical malpractice, products liability, premises liability and trucking/vehicle collision cases. Jeff has extensive experience in class action litigation around the country. He represents clients in corporate disputes, trade secret and intellectual property and securities cases, as well as FINRA arbitration. He is also experienced in pharmaceutical, medical device and environmental litigation. Jeff also handles Federal Tort Claim Act (FTCA) involving the federal government. Jeff is also experienced with corporate bankruptcy, especially when used to avoid litigation and trial.
Jeff has litigated cases in state and federal courts throughout the United States, including: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
Jeff has been recognized for his legal work, including:
- Superlawyers – Business Litigation
- Birmingham Magazine – “Top Attorneys” for Civil Litigation
- B-metro Magazine – “Top Flight Lawyers”
- AV-Preeminent Rating by Martindale Hubbell
Jeff’s community involvement includes service on the Board of the University of Alabama Student Affairs Leadership Council. He also serves on the Advisory Board of Directors for the Shepherd Center Hospital, based in Atlanta, Georgia, which specializes in the treatment, research and rehabilitation of patients with spinal cord and brain injuries and multiple sclerosis. Jeff is also a dedicated supporter of the University of Alabama, Vanderbilt University and Children’s Harbor of Alabama, which provides free counseling and support services to children with chronic illnesses and their families.
- U.S. District Courts, Northern & Middle Districts of Georgia
- U.S. District Courts, Northern, Middle & Southern Districts of Alabama
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Wake Forest University School of Law (J.D., 2001, cum laude)
- Executive Editor, Wake Forest Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Vanderbilt University (B.E. Biomedical Engineering 1997)
Professional memberships and affiliations
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Alabama Association for Justice
- Board, University of Alabama Student Affairs Leadership Council, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Advisory Board of Directors, Shepherd Center Hospital, Atlanta, GA
Recent publications and presentations
Jeff speaks at numerous legal conferences and seminars, including conferences in Phoenix, Arizona for the American Bar Association on toxic tort and environmental law. He speaks regularly in Alabama on topics such as trial practice, voir dire, jury selection, bad faith insurance litigation and lien and subrogation issues.