How To Handle The Aftermath Of A Birmingham Car Accident With A Parked Car
Driving on the highway is not the only time you should be worried when behind the wheel. According to statistics, more than 500 people are killed in parking lot accidents and around 60,000 sustain injuries every year. It might be a good idea to look for a car accident attorney Birmingham if you’ve been involved in a car accident. As a driver, it is important to be aware of some of the potential hazards that can be found in the parking lot. Heninger Garrison Davis recommends some tips which can be used to mitigate accidents in the parking lot.
Common Types of Car Parking Lot Accidents
There are different kinds of accidents you’re likely to experience in a parking lot. Some of them include:
- Two drivers backing into each other
- A driver backs out of the parking space into an oncoming vehicle
- Collision between two cars while trying to pull into the same parking lot
Avoiding Birmingham Parking Lot Accidents
There are some simple things you can do to reduce the chances of being involved in a car accident in the parking lot.
- Follow the traffic rules: Make sure you’re paying attention to pavement markings and traffic signs. Don’t cut through the parking lot however tempting.
- Be careful when backing out: Look out for pedestrians and vehicles when backing out. You should ask someone to help you whenever possible. Be aware of the surroundings when backing out and ensure you do it slowly and carefully. Make sure you’re using the rear and side mirrors to check for approaching vehicles and pedestrians.
- Get rid of distractions: Do not engage in any distracting activity while in the parking lot. Driving in the parking lot requires that you’re attentive throughout because you never know if there is an approaching vehicle when trying to back out.
- Reduce the speed: Most parking lots have a speed limit of 10 mph. You should slow down even if there are no signs of the speed limit. Slowing down will increase your reaction time should you find yourself in a compromising situation.
Who has the right of way in the parking lot?
Parking lots are different from roads because there right-of-way rules are vague. A parking lot is composed of lanes with vehicles parked on both sides. It is common sense that the car that is in through the lanes has the right of way. Those vehicles that passing through should yield the right of way to the vehicles that are backing out of the parking space.
What should you do when involved in an accident?
The first thing you need to ensure is that you’re safe before anything else. The next thing to do is securing the car accident claim. This can be done by exchanging contact information with the other driver involved in the accident. The law enforcement will also need to be informed of the accident. This will help when filing for a claim. For more information, you can check out https://hgdlawfirm.com/practice_area/trucking-and-motor-vehicle-collisions/
Birmingham, AL 35203
Follow Us On Social Media: